I got clients contacting me through my website within a few weeks of setting it up!
And then after two years I was able to stop working for other people and concentrate on my own business at home.
The most important lessons I learned were these:
- Don’t join bidding sites like PeoplePerHour, Elance, oDesk or 99Designs. These sites are good for hiring other people but you won’t make much money by working for them.
- Don’t consider cold calling or buying email lists to present yourself of your company’s credentials to people who’ve no idea who you are. This is a waste of time and may even damage your reputation.
- Set up a WordPress blog and regularly post quality, relevant articles of at least 500 words.
- Engage with people using social media sites that you are most comfortable with, for example Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn. But DON’T get bogged down with these sites and always put the bulk of your efforts into your own site.
- Get links to your WordPress blog from other quality and relevant sources. The best way to do this is to write quality and relevant articles that others will link to. And forge meaningful, genuine relationships with others in your niche by connecting with guest posting, commenting and email.
I hope this helps 🙂
All the best,